DYI Tick Tack Toe Board

My kids are at the age where they love tick tack toe and other similar games.  I thought it would be nice to make a tick tack toe board for them to use when out and about.  I was thinking of making some for younger kids, so I wanted to have the playing pieces about 1 1/2 inches big.  I also wanted the front and back to be opposite fabric, both being fun looking for the kids.

It’s a pretty easy project!  You need two different pieces of fabric, one with a pattern and another solid color that matches the pattern.


First I cut three (3) 2 1/2 inche strips from both the pattern fabric and the solid fabric.  Then cut two (2) 1 inch strips from both the pattern and solid fabric.  

Take one piece of 2 1/2 inch pattern fabric and sew the 1 inch strip to the fabric.  Sew another 2 1/2 inch pattern fabric and 1 inch strip together.  Iron both flat and sew the two pieces together matching the pattern to the solid fabric.  Finally sew the last 2 1/2 inch pattern strip along the 1 inch solid strip.  You will want to do the same with the other solid 2 1/2 inch strips and pattern 1 inch strips.  Make sure to iron between steps.

How that you have a long strip of board pieces cut them 2 1/2, make sure to cut 3 pieces per tick tack toe board you are making (per side).

Cut two strips 1 inch wide that are the length of each piece, this should be about 7 3/4.  Sew the two strips between the three pieces similar to the first step above.  Make sure to iron between steps, and once the board is finished press it really good!  Take your front and back pieces and place them with the nice fabric on the inside.  You may want to trim any fabric that does not line up nicely.  Sew along each side leaving about an inch or two to flip it right side out.  Turn it right side out and use a chopstick to shape the corners.

Iron after turning right side out and be sure to iron the opening you used to turn it right side out so it’s easy to close it up when sewing along the edge.  Sew around edge and it’s done!

I purchased some large buttons from Amazon that worked really well for playing pieces!  They are all cute, fun and most important everything is washable!

The Grinch Stuffed Animal

Looking back at the pictures on my phone and past blog posts I realize I missed at least one sewing adventure. Enjoy the below post about how to make your own stuffed Animal pattern!

The Grinch More

Coffee Cozy

Graduation was a big deal to me. It was the end to the beginning of the next chapter in my life. I spent 2 1/2 years in class with the same ladies, we developed a bond and grew to appreciate each other’s skills. We also continued to appreciate coffee on our Saturday morning classes, so much that by the end we each took turns bringing in coffee. Lots of coffee. So this project is dedicated to the 2 1/2 years I spent with an amazing group of ladies. It is, in a sense, a re-fashion of my Graduation gown and Dun Brothers coffee burlap bags (Even though most of my class drinks Starbucks, and we had a lot of fun…aka coffee…during our Starbucks Case).

20130917-171403.jpg

More

Panda Headphone Holder

I’ve been keeping my headphones in a plastic bag that just keeps getting new holes that scotch tape does not seem to hold up. A while back I saw an animal headphone holder so today’s project was to design and sew a Panda headphone holder.

I cut out a draft of what my Panda would look like.

20121118-172300.jpg

Then I used old t-shirt material that was backed with stabilizer. The first thing I would like state is that sewing small projects with t-shirt material can be a little bit challenging. To help sew the smaller pieces I found that a tweezer would help move it around. The image is a little blurry, but should show this step.

20121118-173132.jpg

The eyes, nose and tale did not need to be double sided. I first sewed the arms, legs, and ears. Then I sewed the eyes on, the nose, and mouth onto the front piece of the body. Then I sewed the tail and arms on the back piece of the body. I also used some batting to help make the panda a little more stiff. Once I sewed the arms on I sewed on the velcro.

20121118-173701.jpg 20121118-173713.jpg

Here is a close up of the face

20121118-173819.jpg

Then I sewed the body together.

20121118-174213.jpg20121118-174224.jpg

Here is the final product! It took about 1-2 hours to make and I must say it seems to work well.

20121118-174444.jpg20121118-174452.jpg